PIAZZA DEL CAMPIDOGLIO


This splendid square was conceived by Michelangelo, who also designed the two palaces on the opposite sides of the square, whoose divergence creates a widening perspective which is most effective. It is reached by the grand flight of steps known as the "Cordonata", built to a design by Michelangelo especially for the triumphal entry of the Emperor Charles V in 1536. Michelangelo placed on a new pedestal the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius (161-180), removed in 1981 for some delicate restoration and situated on the ground floor of the Museo Capitolino.



P.zza Venezia / Via dei Fori Imperiali

44, 46, 56, 57, 60, 62, 90, 90/ ,64, 65, 170, 70, 75, 81, 85, 87, 713, 94, 95, 160, 181, 186, 492, 710, 716, 718, 719