The villa, which hosts the French Academy at Trinità dei Monti, was started in the second half of the 16th century, it was bought in 1576 by Cardinal Ferdinando de' Medici. The gardens which stretch along the avenues bordered by high hedges are embellished by statues sarcophagi and fountains.
There were splendid waterworks during feasts when it was the Embassy of Florence in the 18th century. The villa became property of the ruling house of Florence when the Medici family became extinct. It was thropugh them that Napoleon Bonaparte made it the headquarter of the French Academy. The building was open to the public in 1928 and since then has hosted art exhibitions.